Year Qualified : 1984
He still serves on the Board of Distell, South Africa’s largest Wine & Spirit company that incorporated the old Stellenbosch Farmers Winery. Duimpie has been involved in the wine industry for more than 40 years. During that time, he has served on and chaired many industry committees and societies.
He served as president of the South African Society of Oenology & Viticulture (honorary life member). He enjoys his position as Chairman of the South African Demarcation Committee (appellation contrôlée) -a position that takes him throughout the wine growing regions of South Africa. Duimpie was one of the first three to qualify as a Cape Wine Master in 1983.
He continues to serve on wine judging panels both nationally and internationally.
- Board Member: Distell Group
- President: Cape of Good Hope Agricultural Society (Agri-Expo)
- Chairman: Biodiversity& Wine Initiative (BWI)
- Chairman: SA National Wine Show Association (Veritas)
- Chairman: Technical Committee of the Wine & Spirit Board
- Chairman: Demarcation Committee of the Wine of Origin System
- Board Member: Pinotage Association
- Patron: Charity Wines Trust
- Patron: Elsenburg Old Students Association (EKOV)
- Honorary Life President: SA Society of Oenology & Viticulture (SASEV)
- SASEV. Merit Award 1986
- K.W.V. Wine Man of the Year 1999
Anatomy of the vine